World-renowned chef and Top Chef Masters winner Floyd Cardoz passed away Wednesday in New Jersey at the age of 59. He had the novel coronavirus.
“It is with deep sorrow that we inform you of the passing away of Chef Floyd Cardoz,” said a statement from Hunger Inc. Hospitality. Cardoz was the culinary director and co-founder of Hunger Inc.
The Indian-American chef had admitted himself to a New York hospital on March 17 after feeling feverish, and tested positive for COVID-19 the next day.
Bombay Canteen, a New York restaurant co-owned by Cardoz, stated that the chef had left for New York from Mumbai via Frankfurt on March 8. Cardoz had been in India filming on location for Season 2 of the Netflix series Ugly Delicious with Aziz Ansari.
Cardoz also addressed his health on Instagram, where he posted a photo from a hospital bed.
View this post on Instagram
Sincere apologies everyone. I am sorry for causing undue panic around my earlier post. I was feeling feverish and hence as a precautionary measure, admitted myself into hospital in New York. I was hugely anxious about my state of health and my post was highly irresponsible causing panic in several quarters. I returned to New York on March 8th via Frankfurt
He later passed away from coronavirus issues at Mountainside Medical Center in New Jersey.
Chef Cardoz competed on Top Chef and won Season 3 of Top Chef Masters. He ran successful restaurants in both India and New York. These included the famed modern Indian restaurant Tabla, which he opened with chef Danny Meyer. Cardoz was known for bringing modern Indian food into the fine dining scene with huge amounts of flavor.
At the time of his passing, Cardoz was a partner in a few Mumbai restaurants:
On top of his success as a chef and restauranteur, he was also the author of two cookbooks:
Famous friends are mourning Cardoz’s death in both the restaurant and television industries.
Padma Lakshmi, host of Bravo’s Top Chef, tweeted, “@floydcardoz made us all so proud…He had an impish smile, an innate need to make those around him happy, and a delicious touch. This is a huge loss…”
Executive Chef Michael Anthony said, “The restaurant industry has suffered a great loss…Our thoughts especially go out to his wife and two boys.”
Restaurateur and TV personality David Chang said he was “heartbroken over the loss of Floyd Cardoz to COVID-19.”
He also posted a photo of himself with Cardoz in The Bombay Canteen.
Floyd Cardoz is survived by his mother Beryl, his wife Barkha, and his sons Justin and Peter.
Floyd Cardoz is one of many celebrities and citizens who have succumb to complications from COVID-19. People have so many questions: Will I get the virus? Is my nearest hospital full? When will hospitals receive the medical equipment they need to tackle this virus? What is my humira medicare cost? Can I still get my prescriptions? When will this end?
All we can do now is listen to the authorities’ advice to shelter in place and practice social distancing. In the meantime, make sure to wash those hands! And while you’re stuck inside, binge some Top Chef Masters to see Floyd Cardoz shine.